October 2020 update (Post Federal Budget announcement)
We are proud to share the Federal Budget announcements confirmed a number of wins that are directly aligned with the WWF campaign.
Some highlights include:
- $15 million for a big battery in WA (announced last Friday)
- $67 million for microgrids in remote and regional communities
- $70.2 million for a hydrogen export hub
- $1.5 billion for the Modern Manufacturing Program, of which clean energy technologies were identified as a priority
- $1.4 billion for the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) over twelve years
About the WWF Renewable export recovery package
The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Australia have developed a Renewable export COVID-19 recovery package.
This package focuses on Australia bouncing back from COVID-19, with an increased focus on renewable energy.
As part of this SunEnergy is standing alongside WWF in their efforts to put forward this proposal to federal parliament.
'Creating jobs and future proofing Australia's economy'
It is the World Wildlife Fund’s hope that the federal government will treat the proposal with the respect it deserves.
In a effort to:
- Create 100,000 jobs in the renewable energy sector
- FUTURE PROOF Australia’s economy
- Bring renewable energy manufacturing back into Australia
- Boost global exports
- Grow existing industries
- Unlock new opportunities and industries
Creating three times as many jobs per dollar spent
With an increased focus on renewable energy, this means that not only will it boost Australia’s economy and create thousands of jobs, it will also have an incredibly beneficial effect on our environment.
WWF Australia states that:
“Every dollar of stimulus spent on clean energy projects generates nearly three times as many jobs per dollar than investment in fossil fuel projects.”
(Quote taken from wwf.org.au)
Five focus areas
The five key areas that WWF are looking for funding for are in:
- Battery production and manufacturing within Australia to be used for renewable energy storage
- Solar projects to help communities across Australia
- Manufacture electric buses on Australian soil to create local jobs, green public transport and export opportunities
- Modernise existing manufacturing within Australia to leave fossil fueled power behind to run on clean green renewable energy
- Accelerating renewable hydrogen production to be used as the fuel for the future